What is Eclipse IDE?(Java 101)
Eclipse is a free and open-source Java Integrated Development Environment (IDEs) computer program that initially arose from IBM. This program was inspired by IBM's Visual Age in 2001 and is now managed by Eclipse Foundation. Eclipse Foundation controls Eclipse independently now as a separate institution.
What is Eclipse IDE?
In the computing world, Eclipse is an integrated development program for developing various computer applications using especially Java language as well as others, including C/C++, Python, PERL, Ruby, and many more.
Being free and open source, Eclipse IDE is one of the most popular JAVA IDE in the computing market. Its extensive plugin ecosystem makes it lovable by developers as it supports customizable plugins and functions for developing any application.
Eclipse IDE can run on the most popular Operating Systems, including Windows, Mac OS, and Linux.
How to use Eclipse IDE for Java development?
Before installing Eclipse IDE, we must install the latest Java version on our PCs. We can download the latest Java Kit with complete step-by-step guidance with this link: Download and Install Java Development Kit (JDK) for Windows.
Eclipse IDE consists of the main workspace, which is used as a base, and a plugin system where one can add custom features and functions per the user's needs. It mainly uses Java as a programming language and can also work with other programming languages such as C, C++, Python, PERL, PHP, and many more. There are several packages by the software industry which have all or less similar features.
Some of the most important tools for any Java developer are Window Builder Core, Code Recommenders Developer Tools, Eclipse Git Team Provider, Maven Integrated for Eclipse, Eclipse Java Development Tools, Mylyn Task List, and Eclipse XML Editors and Tools.
What are the features of Eclipse IDE?
- Everything is a plugin.
- There is a work base where you can develop any project per the user's custom needs.
- Any functionality can be extended using the number of plugins the user desires
- It supports powerful knowledge tools, including folding and hyperlink navigation, grading, macro definition browser, and code editing with syntax highlight.
- It comes with a visual code debugging tool which can easily debug any loopholes in the project.
- Drag and drop facility for all user-interface designs
- Assist project development along with appropriate supervision for using different toolchains and source navigation
- Java Eclipse IDE also comes with a Java Doc facility which can be used for any kind of documentation by the users.
What is included in the Eclipse IDE development environment?
- Eclipse Java Development Tools (JDT)
- Eclipse C/C++ Development Tools (CDT)
- Eclipse PHP Development Tools (PDT)
All these development environments are easily accessible at Eclipse's Official Website here.
There are specific steps for Eclipse IDE installation and configuration. They are:
Step 1: Install Java Development Kit (JDK)
Step 2: Download Eclipse
Step 3: Unzip and Run "Eclipse.exe"
For detailed steps for installation/procedures, you can reach out to us at Cogent Infotech.
Eclipse IDE and its important terminologies:
- Workspace and Project – It's the file path for storing the meta-data.
- Overview of UI – Views and editors to navigate and change between content.
- Eclipse Projects – Consists of source, configuration, and binary files for the particular project.
We have simplified the process of Eclipse IDE use for Java developers. The feature of a graphical debugger makes it easy to operate. If you are a new developer and find it a bit complex, contact us at Cogent Infotech. Our expert consultants will lead you through a step-by-step process to make your journey of using Eclipse IDE for Java Development smooth and quick.
Q: Is Eclipse good for coding?
A: Yes. Eclipse is one of the best coding tools and IDE for JAVA developers. Being free and open source, using a modern user interface, and its usage for multiple operating systems make it popular among developers.
Q: What is the use of Eclipse IDE?
A: Eclipse IDE is a software writing tool helping Java developers code, edit, build executables and debug a project into a single application workspace.